The question "What is Web 2.0?" among other things was pondered recently by Mike Arrington with a number of startup CEOs and executives on a video filmed deep inside the Silicon Valley echo-chamber. Here are some interesting tidbits which were blended into the 24 minute video:
- TV is being eroded by Web 2.0.
- Web business models need to be advertising based.
- "Word of net" is far faster than the "word of mouth."
- Friendster created the market of social networking and crushed the idea you pay for personals.
- Content is king but if you are a publisher you need to fuse together the long tail.
- Blogging is a superset of publishing.
- Publisher are going to be packaging content.
- Firefox AJAX, Flash, consumers, producers and user generated content were all discussed.
- There was even on interesting Star Wars analogy (the republic vs. the empire).
- VC money, the bubble and business models were also discussed.
- The IE vs. Firefox browser debate.
Everyone has their own definition of Web 2.0 - so what does web 2.0 mean to you?