Two-thousand five, was a year of big expectations for me and for the most part it lived up to its billing. I felt it was in some ways a year I could do no wrong. Maybe it is because I am the fifth Frank and the five at the end of 2005 was going to align and somehow bring great fortune. Call it arrogance or maybe it was just pure ignorance for other years. Nonetheless, I used the following catch phrase far too many times then I would like to repeat at this time:
"2005 is my year!"
However here is a very quick month-by-month overview of some of the happenings in my life and the Somewhat Frank blog.
January 2005 :
- I took a new position with Tribune Interactive in the national Business Development department.
- I met and started dating my extraordinary girlfriend. She has been wonderful and has added lots of sunshine to my year.
- It must have been a cold month in Chicago and I must have been studying a lot for my Masters program because I do not remember much of February. I do recall doing some skiing and celebrating Valentine's Day, that's about it.
- Completed a Master of Science in CIS from Northwestern University.
- Another cold Chicago Cubs opening day lose at Wrigley field.
- Trip to Florida for some sunshine, call it a late spring break.
- As explained in my SwF post, my Google Gmail account was hacked.
- Took my first steps on Wrigley Field for a charity event.
- Attended Webmaster World's SEO conference in New Orleans where Ian Turner went missing but then was found.
- Somewhat Frank the blog is born with this post.
- Who will be #1 in Blog Search?
- Google Maps API is released and the mash-ups begin to emerge.
- Google Earth and MSN Virtual Earth do battle.
- Tribune Interactive Producer training in Chicago.
- McCormick Tribune Foundation's Freedom Museum art competition winners announced.
- Splog Reporter is born as a grassroots movement to combat spam blogs and quickly improved.
- Somewhat Frank gets an updated look.
- Took a weekend trip to historic Galena, Illinois.
- A visit to an Alpaca farm ... if all else fails I could raise Alpacas!?
- Tried to answer the question, what is emotional cheating?
- Attended Ryne Sandberg Day at Wrigley Field.
- I got mono! September was a long very month.
- Katrina devastated New Orleans. Keith Oberman and Kanye West sound off and Google Maps give us satellite images.
- WSJ highlights Splog and Splog Reporter.
- Wired News highlights Splog Reporter.
- The Chicago White Sox baseball team make Chicago proud.
- A trip to Georgia for some rest and relaxation.
- A quick trip to my Alma mater Purdue University to watch some Big Ten football.
- Somewhat Frank gets blogged by Pluck.
- Tribune Interactive launches two new Metromix entertainment sites of which I was on the strategic planning committee.
- Attended a Chicago Bears football game on a windy Sunday ... little did I know the Bears would make the playoffs and get a bye!
- Nominated as one of Chicago's Finest and helped fund-raise for a Cystic Fibrosis Foundation event.