Google has finally launched Google Finance into public beta today (March 21, 2006) which should directly compete with Yahoo Finance, MSN Money and CNN Money in the finance space. There have been mixed reviews of the service thus far but I think it offers an interesting presentation of news clips and stock performance information. The display offers several unique Flash based sliders to help examine the peaks and valleys a companies performance record. In the screen-shot below I analyze the profile of Google to demonstrate some of the features that differentiate Google Finance from the competition.
For additional reaction to the Google Finance beta launch check out these write-ups:
- Google Launches Google Finance by Danny Sullivan
- Google Finance Disappoints by Om Malik
- Google.Portal.Finance Launches by John Battelle
- Google Finance - Lots of Flash & Ajax by Mike Arrington
- Google Unveils A New Service Offering Financial News, Data by Kevin Delaney
What do you think about Google Finance?